Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said,
” When anyone of you wakes up, he Must rinse his nose three times. Verily Shayttan spends the night inside a person’s nostrils.
(Collected by Bukhari 3121 and Muslim 23)
Benefits for this subject:
- Blowing the nose is an obligation with the Hanbali school of thought and a sunnah with the majority of scholars.
- This hadeeth shows that Shaytaan can’t open what’s closed or locked. Furthermore it has been reported that when a person yawns he should cover his mouth, so Shaytaan can’t enter.[ Subulus Salaam]
- Shaykh Muhammad Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) commented on this hadeeth in his explanation for Sahih Muslim. He said,” This hadeeth proves that Shaytaan has the ability to do things and we don’t have the ability to perceive it.Shaytaan spends the night in our nose and we don’t know how. We can’t make out how anyone could shape their body for the size of a nostril. However if it was something that crawled the size of an atom we could see how.
Nonetheless the world of the Shayaateen and Jinn is hidden from us. And likewise the world of the Angels is hidden from us. There is an Angel on our right and left side that companion us. Do we feel them? We don’t feel them, but we believe this to be a fact.
- The hadeeth proves that Allah has given Shaytaan the ability to overpower us. Therefore he (peace and blessings be upon him) informed us about this act of Shaytaan, so we could be aware of his evil and realize our need for Allah. [ explanation of Sahih Muslim for hadeeth number 24]
- Muhammad Abdur Rauf Al-Manaawee said,” Shaytaan also chooses the nose because the eyes are for looking and pondering over the creations in the heavens and earth. The mouth is for remembering Allah. The ears are for listening to knowledge and Allah’s remembrances. However the nose doesn’t have any of these traits. Therefore this is an entrance for Shaytaan into man’s body to whisper to him.[ Faydul Qadeer #436]
Translated and prepared by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Lamont Battle
- Shayatan – His ways in Misleading – [ PDF file here] – Abu Iyaad
- The Traps of Iblis – by Imâm Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah
- The Whisper of the Shytaan and Its Cure – by Shaykh Muhammad Saleh Al Uthaymeen [PDF]
- Suffering from the whispering of Shaytan – Fatawa Arkanul Islam – Shaykh ibn Uthaymeen
- Fatwa on – The Remedy for Whispering (of Shaytan) – Shaik Ibn Baaz
This is a clear example from the Salaf (i.e. pious predecessors) of how to call to the religion of Allah indirectly with your character, as sometimes calling a person directly may not prove the most effective way. Many accepted Islam because of hearing about the divine character of Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu alaihi wa salam), even before they met him…as all of us did!!!
Hassan Al Basree (Rahimahillah) had a neighbor who was a Christian. This neighbor had a toilet on the roof of his apartment and it used to leak through a hole in the roof of Hassan Al Basree’s apartment. Hassan placed a bucket beneath the hole to catch the urine that would leak through it and discard the contents at the end of each day. This continued for 20 years.
Then one day, Hassan fell ill and his Christian neighbor came to visit him. When he entered, the neighbor noticed the bucket of urine that was leaking through the hole in his ceiling and asked Hassan astoundingly: “How long have you been tolerating this harm from me?!” Hassan replied: “For 20 years!”
So the Christian neighbor took off his belt (which was the clothing of the Christians during that time) and accepted Islam…!!!
Mentioned in Hilya tul Awliyaa’a by Abu Nu’aim Al Asbahaani (Rahimahullah),
Translated by Shadeed Muhammad, Abu Azzubayr on Friday March 26, 2010 in the Capitol of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.
Taken from : http://www.rawdah.org/read-ToleratedHarm.html