What Foods Are Good For Your Eyesight?
|What Foods Are Good For Your Eyesight?
Filed under: Body
Saturday, November 01 2008 – by HealthyMuslim
Key topics: Eyesight • Lutein • Anthocyanins • Vitamin A • Vitamin C • Beta-carotene • Vitamin E
Mail to a Friend • Printer friendly
These foods are good for maintaining good eyesight. Weakened eyesight may be the result of improper nutrition and lack of the relevant nutrients that are related to the maintenance of the various eye components.
- Carrots. These are rich in Vitamin A. Beta-carotene which is a precursor of Vitamin A plays an important role in numerous biochemical reactions in the body. The benefits of Vitamin A / Beta-carotene include maintenance of the surface linings in the eyes, and intestinal, urinary and respiratory tracts.
- Cold water fish. These include sardines, mackerel, cod and tuna. These fish are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, and particularly DHA which plays a crucial role in the structure of cell-membranes. It is recommended for people with dry eyes, and for the preservation of sight in general.
- The leafy greens. These include spinach and kale. These are rich in carotenoids, with lutein of particular interest. This is a pigment that protects the macula (part of the eye deep in the centre of the retina) from damage via sunlight.
- Eggs. They are rich in sulfur, cysteine, lecithin and again, lutein. They can protect from cataract formation.
- Garlics and onions. These are also rich in sulfur, which is required for the synthesis of glutathione which is an antioxidant for the whole body, including the eye lens. It protects the body from damage and deterioration and this applies to the eyes as well.
- Fruits and vegetables. They contain a lot of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Beta-carotene. Carrots are good for daytime vision.
- Blueberries and grapes. They contain anthocyanins which are good for night vision.
These foods provide the nutrients to maintain good eyesight. You can also take supplements too. This would include Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, alpha-Lipoic acid, DHA (an omega-3 fatty acid), Selenium and Magnesium.